BURNING MAN SURVIVAL ITEMS
- Best sleeping mask EVER https://amzn.to/2K1DCGp
- Zap straps for putting on bike lights and putting your bike basket on https://amzn.to/2KepVmR
- Earplugs for protecting your ears when at a DJ set https://amzn.to/2tCgeV4
- Earplugs for sleeping – I am between these two: The aluminum Isolate Earplug https://amzn.to/2NjlqVY // The highest NRR rating (noise reduction rating) is 33. This one is a cheap one for sleeping https://amzn.to/2lgs1rg and if you combine that with earmuffs you’ll get 36 NRR / If you’re hardcore, these are the BOSE white noise earpljugs https://amzn.to/2G5D9PB
- Dustmask. Bring two. https://amzn.to/2YXjNm0
- Good scarf to protect head and face from dust storms https://amzn.to/2yBwFXb
- Utensil Kit: https://amzn.to/2tGY98f or fancy one: https://amzn.to/2MpiXIY
- Plate kit (bento lunch box, leak proof) – this is for camp meals https://amzn.to/2OozWNx
- Goggles – Suggest you bring two in case something happens to your goggles. I got these and they were great (in black) https://amzn.to/2MRr6qN (get the transparent ones otherwise it will be too dark at night) Here’s an article on goggles, you want to avoid fogging in the day, have a pair that is not shaded as in duststorm you will not be able to see) http://blog.pksafety.com/what-are-the-best-goggles-for-burning-man/).
- Sunblock – This is a more natural line, that is a SPF serum (means no white mark on your face). By Supergoop – they sell at Sephora too https://amzn.to/2KluaJR
- Clean bag of clothes in a ziplock for the ride/flight home
- Chapstick w/ SPF (I’ve tested tons, the natural ones don’t work, Carmex is the top one so far) http://amzn.to/2fTGvL6
- Baby wipes (Lots of them) – here are natural ones http://amzn.to/2waYOPU
- $1 bills – nothing is for sale at Burning Man but there is a cafe in center camp where they have Chai lattes, coffee, and tea.
- Carabiners You can use them to attach your cup to your camel back (and anything ELSE you need to attach for that matter). https://amzn.to/2IvZML7
- Cup/Drink container (here’s a collapsable one) http://amzn.to/2wvZIqf or this one is stainless steel with a handle and leak proof lid https://amzn.to/2JZSUXm
- Listerine breath strips or spray (gum is a pain to dispose of) or ALL Natural “WOW” drops (game changer) https://amzn.to/2K5IGVn
- Small packages of kleenexhttps://amzn.to/2K5IGVn
- Saline nasal spray / Vick’s Nasal Vapor Breather Tubes `
- Eyedrops (these are the best on the market – and more effective than Visine, not sure how good they are for you, but for severe weather conditions, worth a try) https://amzn.to/2YUENz2
- Backpack / Camel Back https://amzn.to/2LEKiqQ (You don’t need a camelback, you can bring a backpack and big water bottle)
- Big water bottle http://amzn.to/2wKOWvu
- Optional: Bungee with carabiners to lock up your faux jacket to your bike http://amzn.to/2vpwlFC (Also, if you have a long faux fur, biking with it you will need to use some sort of strap or bungee cord to roll it up so you can bike without it getting caught)
- Batteries AA and AAA (for your el wire, and bike lights)
BURNING MAN GEAR:
- Bike frame light https://amzn.to/2tzyn6x
- El Wire for Clothes / bike https://amzn.to/2JsYrZB (this is 5 packs of 15 feet, plenty enough)
- Lights for clothing – 5 ft http://amzn.to/2wn92PN
- Bike lock (with WORD code not key) http://amzn.to/2hMUX8s or (number code) https://amzn.to/2uWuTLb
- Bike lamp (THIS WAS VERY HELPFUL LAST YEAR) http://amzn.to/2vUN7i2
- Mini Flashlight (or headlamp) -you want this when you’re walking in pitch dark to go to the bathroom
- Headlamp – wear around your neck late at night, on head when biking, etc https://amzn.to/2N4P7KS
- Scissors – trust that this will come in handy
- Bike basket – secure with zap strap https://amzn.to/2Ocssgu
- Optional – so that you don’t need to use your phone for telling time, get a cheap watch (here is a keychain watch for $6) https://amzn.to/2Lxq1Xf
- Sand/Dust trapper Mat – dust falls through into layer and traps it (various sizes). This is not necessary, a nice to have. https://amzn.to/2Lr6S6h
- Mini pocket picnic mat (perfect for spontaneous deep playa star gazing) https://amzn.to/2Oc6OsI
- Gaffer tape (to seal windows) this tape doesn’t leave sticky residue https://amzn.to/2NFY6BJ
- Travel microfibre towel https://amzn.to/2JMy8dF
VITAMINS / SELF CARE STUFF (optional, but recommended)
- Detangling brush (I tried it, it actually works, also at Sephora) https://amzn.to/2yL5rNR
- Coconut oil – your body is going to crack up dry this is a saviour, fractionated is oil format that doesn’t clog pores http://amzn.to/2ieZ1yo (8oz) or http://amzn.to/2vMj0t4 (4 oz)
- PRO TIP! Liquid bandaid for hangnails is grrreat (this will save your skin from shredding, put it on before it starts to get bad) http://amzn.to/2vZBepj
- 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) – amino acid used to regenerate serotonin, as well as endorphins. This article is useful if you want to restore your body/brain after “partying” http://coryreddish.blogspot.com/2012/08/burning-man-without-burning-yourself.html
- Tea tree oil (for cuts and scratches)
- Throat lozenges
- Emergen C/ Electrolyte Packets
- Essential oils (Peppermint, Rosemary, Lemon & Eucalyptus – put a 2-3 drops in dust mask, voila you can breathe again) – Nice to have, not a must
- Sleeping pills
- Oil of Oregano – don’t get sick! If you feel the beginning of a cold, take this and it will help you! You can take pill format.
- Dr Bronner’s Organic Body Lotion 8 Oz – http://amzn.to/2vLVKLv
- Face wipes https://amzn.to/2JNPs25
- Zit patches – Ok these really work! If you have a pimple you put this on when you sleep and it takes out the yucky stuff by the time you wake up https://amzn.to/31pARTI
- Witch Hazel with rose petals and aloe – use this to wipe your face as a toner, helps reduce acne, reduce stinging from sunburns https://amzn.to/2uEMRlu or the wipes https://amzn.to/2Juc1bR
- Ok, this is totally a LUXURY, but it’s a game changer (if you have a RV and a plug). Milk frother (you can froth almond milk and it heats it) and put in matcha or other latte mixes https://amzn.to/2AgrTz8
SUN PROTECTION FOR SKIN
- FACE – Deep moisturizing face cream – (this doesn’t have SPF but wear as a base and then put the sunscreen after) This is a very good organic cream made of seabuckthorn and avocado (they sell at Whole Foods too) http://amzn.to/2wZN2rO
- FACE – Supergoop SPF serum (doesn’t have the white residue that sunblock has) – http://amzn.to/2vcTDSz
- LADIES – This is an amazing CC cream with SPF 50 that color corrects and blends in skin well, better than using foundation at the playa. Get the tone that fits your skin color. It’s cheaper at Sephora https://amzn.to/2uZ8TPI
- BODY – Sunscreen Mist SPF 50 – http://amzn.to/2wbaJNJ or if you want to really treat your skin well, do Supergoop SPF oil – all natural with no parabens or bad chemicals – GOES ON GREAT http://amzn.to/2wNnGzw
BURNING MAN FASHION
- Crystal talisman pendants and more, all hand made in Paris – PartsofFour
- Silk robe/kimonos great for lounging around camp and inside your RV/tent: Kim and Ono
- Festival costumes: Harmonia // Faux fur Burning Man coats: Boho Coats
- Bodysuits / domme stuff https://www.forplaycatalog.com/
- Inspo: my BM moodboard: https://www.pinterest.ca/RenewYourHeart/festival-style/ Article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/13-burning-man-costumes-p_b_11577994
- NY stores: https://www.screamingmimis.com/ // Buffalo Exchange // Abracadabra // Reminiscence https://www.yelp.com/biz/reminiscence-new-york-2
To Avoid Having Your Stuff Taken
- Bike – Have a rope lock and try to park note a landmark (which is not an artcar). When you get hot, loop the lock in the sleeve of your fur coat so your coat doesn’t get taken.
- Bring a set of clothes for your flight home and put in ziplock. Also, store clean socks and underwear in ziplock. Clean towels in ziplock.
- Pack your clothing in ziplock bags. Crush all the air out and zip. They pack better and won’t be covered in playa dust. Label with sharpie on the outside so you don’t need to open.
- Remove excess packaging on food before you get to Burning Man so you don’t have to haul it out after.
- Put your toiletries in ziploc bags, arranged by how often you use stuff (most frequently in one bag, rarely used in another bag.) And then put those baggies in a medium sized plastic box. Label the box.
- Your body will need more than just plain water to stay healthy and hydrated. Bring electrolytes and have at least one packet a day. Article on best/worst electrolytes http://paleoedge.com/best-and-worst-electrolyte-drinks/
- It’s so hot and dry, you will want to eat is something salty, bring beef jerky and protein bars (you’ll find yourself out for a long time and not wanting to go back to homebase for food, so this will be a savior!). I like the RX Bar peanut butter ones. You don’t want ones that will melt.
- Burning Man is a gift economy. People give one another gifts with no expectation of return. Gifts can range anywhere from being kind, hugs, small handmade items, to food/drink, to services rendered. So think of what you will be bestowing as “your gift”.
- Bring a couple plastic bags to act as shoe covers. Should it rain at any point throughout the week, this is a great way to enjoy venturing out during the downpour. The ‘mud’ doesn’t stick to the plastic so you’ll do less damage to the playa and keep your shoes clean at the same time!
- Don’t wear open toe sandals. If you do and get “Playa Feet” – hard, cracking skin that blisters from playa dust, then soak your feet in water and vinegar daily
- Do not wear anything with feathers, sequins, or loose bits that will fall off and shed on the Playa. You will get dirty looks because everything brought onto the Playa has to be cleaned and removed after.
- Wear EL wire to light up at night. Examine the “light signature” of your friends before you head out each night. Everyone will be lit and you’ll want to be able to ID your friends in the sea of lights!
Note – This is a list of items that does not include food / tent items). Although as a snack connoisseur I highly recommend the dried flattened bananas and dried mangos available at Trader Joe’s =)
And lastly… You’re not going to starve, you probably won’t wear half the things you bring…
JustMyType is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.